Thursday, March 1, 2012
Vibrating air - sounds and signals
1. Michelangelo Pistoletto - performance view of "Le Trombe del Giudizio (The Trumpets of Justice)," Rome (1968). (Pictured: Michelangelo Pistoletto and Maria Poppi).
2. Egypt - Player of large arghul (Arghoul al-Kebir).
3. Syria - Player of Zamr (conical shawm that is called zurna in Turkey).
4. Zurla player (Yugoslavia).
5. Mismar player, Egypt.
6. Surnai player - Bombay.
7. Colombia - a notched flute made of animal bone.
8. Ethiopia - washint player.
9. Alphorn signal for spring - The "tulnic" is a variety of alphorn favoured by young women in western Transylvania.
10. Town crier blowing his small trumpet (Trumbitta da banditore) - Orani, Sardinia, 1958. (photo: Bavagnoli).
11. Kudu horn player, Chad.
12. Two ivory horns adorned with human jaw-bones (Benin. Ahwangbla Voodoo Orchestra).
13. Surle (zurla) players - Prizren, Kosovo (photo by Nico Staiti).
14. Musicians playing the karnay (long trumpets) in a Kyrgyz wedding celebrations. Early twentieth century photo (Le Vie d'Italia).
15. Suona player (Nanchang).