Saturday, June 2, 2012
Côte d'Ivoire - Ancestral Heritage
1. Oubi man in ceremonial mask with a polychrome wooden sword. Near Tai.
2. Guere ceremonial dance mask. Guiglo region.
3. The ritual dance language is a means of communication with the invisible world, the gods and the ancestors' souls.
4. Ceremonial sword bearer, Atie country.
5. Alepe. During the annual ceremonies, an Atie virgin brings on his head the symbolic effigy of leopard taking a prey in its mouth.
6. Atie drums carried in procession by the young people.
7. Six strings arched harp player in ceremonial dress.
8. Senufo chief in festive dress. Near Korhogo.
9. Actor participating in a commemorative festival. Alepe region.
10. Waniougo mask used by Senufo initiates that recall the chaotic state of the primeval universe.
11. Ceramic votive statuettes. Near Grand Bassam and Bonua.
12. Guro mask representing a large antelope. Near Vavoua.
13, 14. Guere Masks.
15. Senufo cloth with ornamental motifs representing the mythological animals of primeval times. Around Korhogo.