Sunday, September 18, 2011
The Ground is hard, the Sky is far
1. On his horse, protected from the cold by a flank of felt, Abdul Wakil leads the caravan on a sandy track of Wakhan.
2. Climbing a hill: men and beasts struggling hillside.
3. In a world of endless steppe dotted with sepia spikes and black pebbles, the caravan progresses inexorably.
4. At the camp of Aq Djelga, in the evening, the Kyrgyz enclose the goats and sheeps in a stones enclosure to protect them from cold and wolves.
5. The Bactrian Camel.
6. The caravan crosses a meadow strewn with rushes.
7. As the last rays of the sun ablaze the top of Pamir mountains, camels are posted for resting.
8. The caravan advances at 4000 meters on the roof of the world.
9. Hindu Kush mountains in summer, in the province of Badakhshan.
10. At the crossroads of ancient routes from India to Persia and Bukhara in Chinese Turkestan, Tashkourgan regains its animation on Monday and Thursday, market day.
11. The only fuel of the steppe is the "camel thorn" sold in the markets of small towns in Central Asia.
12. A horseman-player "tchopendoz" quenches thirst.